Friday, April 22, 2016

Intermolecular Forces

Intermolecular forces are forces of repulsion or attraction between neighboring molecules. They are weak compared to the intramolecular forces, the forces which keep a molecule together.

Weakest to strongest, they are London dispersion, dipole dipole, hydrogen, & ionic bonding.

Here is a simple picture illustrating how to determine which type of bonding is present.


Another thing to remember is that stronger intermolecular forces result in higher boiling points, seeing as the bonds require more heat to be broken due to their strength. 

Here are some links I found helpful:



2 comments:

  1. Marie, I found your post very educational! I like how you opened you post, establishing what an intermolecular force is for those who do not know. I also liked how you ranked the strength of forces. Your links were helpful too, deeply explaining the trends and differences between the different forces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, thanks for this post. I found it very helpful because this is the lesson I had the most trouble with within this unit. I like how you laid out the forces then used a visual on how to determine which you are dealing with. In addition, your websites were very helpful for additional practice!

    ReplyDelete