Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Beanium Lab

Yesterday in class we did a lab about a newly discovered element, Beanium.

We had a sample of different isotopes of the element Beanium and had to record their frequency and mass. One of the things we did first was measure the cup without any beanium in it to ensure accurate measurement.

 Then we did the rest of the experiment, measuring each different isotope to find the average atomic mass.

This lab helped me learn how to use the equation to find average atomic mass and the importance of taking every isotope into account. 


**Helpful hint: I found that this website is really helpul if you're having trouble figuring out how to calculate the average atomic mass! 


1 comment:

  1. Marie, I agree with your comment that this lab helped you learn importance of taking every isotope into account. I too learned this, thanks to this lab. I really enjoyed your pictures, because they helped me understand what you were doing in each step, instead of just having to infer from your descriptions. The only thing I might suggest, is to include a picture of the atoms sorted out, so that way the reader of this post can better understand what different types of isotopes you were dealing with, and how much they can vary in abundance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete